Saturday, October 27, 2012

"Six days shalt thou labour..."

This past week, my life just got a whole lot better; I finally found a job!

Up until just a few days ago, I did not have a whole lot going for me. I don't go to school until January, I was unemployed, and my social life is, eh, in need of improvement. Needless to say, I was not having fun. I was actually having quite a difficult time; I had gone from serving my God and my fellow man all-day everyday on my mission to literally nothing once I came home. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Well, while I am still looking forward to school and dealing with my lackluster social status, I managed to fill a gaping hole in my life and schedule with employment! A wonderful member of the church I attend set me up with it, and I am in love! While the work itself is rather menial, I enjoy my days again. I feel productive and useful, even if only in a small way. I feel good about myself!

Work is an interesting principle. Work probably has the biggest disparity between the gospel view and the worldly view. In the eyes of the world, work is a necessary evil, something you avoid as much as possible while still scraping through life. To the world, the ultimate lifestyle is that of the billionaire with no end to his money or time. However, Heavenly Father has an entirely different take on the matter, and for those that have seen both sides of the issue, we can agree that God has it right.

In the beginning, God created the world. Along with everything else, He placed Adam and Eve in a garden, the Garden of Eden, to care for the Earth. But due to transgression, it was not best for Adam and Eve to remain there. God sent them out, with many seemingly harsh curses, but upon closer examination we see that they were not intended to be curses at all but blessings instead. God said, "for thy sake" (Gen. 3:17, emphasis added) the ground would be cursed, Eve would labor in pregnancy, with sweat they shall earn their bread, and many other tasks of hardship.

How did Adam and Eve respond? Later, after learning more of their role in the world and God's Plan of Salvation for them, Adam responded, "Blessed be the name of God, for because of my transgression my eyes are opened, and in this life I shall have joy, and again in the flesh I shall see God", and Eve "heard all these things and was glad" (Moses 5:10-11, emphasis added)! Joy was not something to enjoy on the beach-chairs of Heaven's Beach, but to be had here by drawing closer to God through concert effort!

Leisure is appropriate as a way to unwind from the stresses of life, but life is built not from waning into idleness and slothfulness, but it is built by our own hands! When I look back on my life, the times I enjoy are not the times I vegged out in front of the TV or lying in bed all day, but the times I enjoy most are when I do things, especially accomplishing very difficult tasks. When I returned from my mission, I was very happy (amongst other emotions) not because I hated my mission but because I did something more difficult than I had ever done in my life.

We are sent here to do and become something, not just enjoy whatever is thrown our way. Not only is it our duty, but it is the key to happiness. I don't wonder at all when Elder D. Todd Christofferson said, "By work we sustain and enrich life. It enables us to survive the disappointments and tragedies of the mortal experience. Hard-earned achievement brings a sense of self-worth. Work builds and refines character, creates beauty, and is the instrument of our service to one another and to God. A consecrated life is filled with work, sometimes repetitive, sometimes menial, sometimes unappreciated but always work that improves, orders, sustains, lifts, ministers, aspires" ("Reflections on a Consecrated Life"). I can tell you that that is completely true; I was miserable when I did nothing, but now that I am working, I am so much happier.

This life was designed to be something we continuously worked at. “Life offers you two precious gifts—one is time, the other freedom of choice, the freedom to buy with your time what you will" (Elder Richard L. Evans), and I can promise you, with what God has given to us, our life can reach amazing heights.

God bless y'all!
Patrick

Credit to Gregory Frank Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment