Monday, October 15, 2012

How can I gain understanding in personal trials?

I do not think my life has ever been trouble-free. Well, perhaps in my early childhood, but in probably the past 5-or-so years, I cannot think of a single time where my life was absolutely problem-free. While I have never been through anything drastic or overtly dramatic, some periods were far more difficult than others. Recently I have been going through one of those harder times.

God has a perfect plan for each of us. Ironically (yet very much fortunately), His perfect plan involves imperfect children in an imperfect world. I have had many witnesses that everything indeed does have a purpose. But in the middle of trying times, especially when there is no apparent reason or benefit from enduring, I wonder why I must go through these down days. I know deep in my heart that this will all lead to something far greater, but in the more shallow depths I worry and question.

So, one thing I have asked myself many times is, how can I gain understanding during these difficult times? How can I trust in my God that everything will be okay? How can I press on, knowing that this will ultimately be for my good?

While I am yet young and do not know the full answer, these are a few things I have learned along the way.

1. Study how God has affected the lives of others

I feel that, at least at first, the first thing we must do to understand fully how God can work in our own lives is to observe how He has worked in the lives of others; this is especially true when it comes to trials that have gone on for a long time, even years; not much has built my faith more in a resolution for long-term difficulties than to see that others have had resolutions to their long-term difficulties. Personal accounts from those you know work excellently, and the scriptures are a terrific source of these experiences as well. For example, in the Book of Exodus, the Israelites were slaves to the Egyptians for a very long time! It was decades before God finally sent Moses to liberate them; and after that, did they find refuge immediately? No; it took them another 40 years before they finally found a place to call home. During those years upon years, how easy would it have been to give up on God? But, in spite of the length of time, God eventually did free His people, and the Israelites would go on to form a mighty nation, enjoying much prosperity and the protection of the Almighty. The journey was not easy, but it was worth it.

On a more personal level, I know some that struggle with handicaps, whether they be physical, emotional or mental. Some will never live a "normal" life. But these special people, through their limitations, serve others in ways that are unspeakable. My life has been personally touched by such people. They may wonder all their days why God made them that way, but I know at least in part why.

2. Reflect on your own personal trials that have been resolved; record them in a journal

If we look carefully, it is amazing how many times God touches our lives. Some of us are very good at seeing these phenomenons, while others struggle. Either way, if we look hard enough, each of us are bound to find something.

After a trial has ended, we can now reflect on where we were before the event and compare it to now. Wonders happen as we do so. As you think, make notes on it. It is astounding what we can learn and what we feel from these hard times, but it is perhaps even more surprising how prone we are to forget; that is why I suggest write it down. If you write it down, you may lose the perspective you once had, but it is readily available for future use. And this does not need to be recordings of just hard times, but it can be of spiritual experiences or anything significant of the sort. If we have all these precious treasures written down, such as in a journal, we will have a wealth of knowledge ready when needed.

3. Keep your life busy and filled with purpose

Sometimes when life hits its low, I really want to stop everything I am doing and wait for life to get better. I am discouraged and demotivated. But I realize that when I submit to feelings of weakness, my life only gets more hollow and recovery is slowed.

Whatever our struggles are, it can always be helped by filling our life with positive activities. Service is a huge one. No matter our circumstances, there is always room for some form of service. In service, there is a magic of healing that cannot be found elsewhere. If you truly immerse yourself in service, you lose yourself and begin to forget your problems. For the time being, you enjoy life, being freed from sorrows. While the problem is still there and the pain will return, every time I served someone, I left a little bit stronger, a little more able to handle life, and feeling a lot better about myself.

Service may be of the greatest benefit, but it is not the only option we have. Anything productive helps; it is about giving us a reason to move on. If we tend to nothing, we live for nothing. If we have much to tend to, we have much to live for. It is that simple. So, whether it be service, raising your family, studying, performing well at work, or fulfilling duties in church or other organizations, you keep about you an identity and a purpose.

4. Seek further spiritual enlightment

God is willing to guide us, but sometimes we are prone to ignore Him. If God is allowing us to suffer, it is for a reason, and He wants us to know that reason. Not all understanding can or should come quickly, but it will come.

As you are enduring, seek understanding and perspective. While you should not challenge God, I do not feel it is inappropriate to ask Him why you must go through this, or at the very least what you are to do during these events. As I mentioned in my earlier post, on my mission it was in the hardest times that I learned the most, especially about my relationship to God.

Throughout all of this, we must remember the proper perspective. God put us here on Earth for a reason, and that is to become like Him as much as possible. God is our Father. He is the greatest Teacher in the Universe. He knows each of us, even as He knows the sparrow falling from the tree (Matt. 10: 29-31). While in the middle of such difficult circumstances it may be hard to reflect, it is of great benefit. God wants the very best for us, and He will help us along each step of the way.

God bless y'all!
Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment