Sunday, October 28, 2012

A Plain Understanding of the Gospel

This post will be fairly short: I just wanted to record some thoughts I had tonight.

Every Sunday my church has what you could call a devotional where we gather and discuss a verse of scripture or a spiritual thought that was prepared beforehand. Tonight, it was found in 2 Nephi 33:6, with a focus on plainness:

I glory in plainness; I glory in truth; I glory in my Jesus, for he hath redeemed my soul from hell.

Truth be told, I felt a twinge of annoyance at the subject. Right now, I am at a confusing stage in my life, and it could be described as anything but "plain" or simple. I am not really sure where I am going or what God wants me to do; I am just pressing forward until I do know.

I am confident God will eventually show me what steps I need to take. He has in the past. But even with that knowledge, it is not really fun to walk in darkness, scrambling for the light.

I suppose my prayer is similar to the hymn, "Lead, Kindly Light":

"Lead, Kindly Light, amidst th'encircling gloom,
Lead Thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home,
Lead Thou me on!
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene; one step enough for me."


It is not in line with the principle of faith that we should see the whole picture. Rather, we are to rely on God as He reveals His plan one degree at a time.

God bless y'all!
Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment