Saturday, September 15, 2012

CES Devotional, September 2012

This past Sunday, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland (of the Twelve Apostles for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) spoke to adults between 18-30 years old.

I loved this devotional! Can I say how much I love Elder Jeffrey R. Holland? He is very well-known for his bluntness, conviction and passion. Anytime you need something told for what it is, he's there to do it.

I don't intend on giving a thorough synopsis (you should watch it yourself!), but I do wish to point out a few things that struck me well.

The first item I wish to discuss is Elder Holland's emphasis on living your standards always. He related how (forgive me if I mess up the details) he attended a basketball game where one player, who belonged to one team, found it difficult to contribute, so he moved to another team where he felt he would be better used, and he eventually became a starter; the two teams were facing each other that day, and the former team's fanbase took this opportunity to rip apart the poor man and his family. Elder Holland was appalled at the behavior, for most of these fans were Latter-day Saints, but he was even more astounded when one answered his gross behavior with, "We checked our religion at the door." Elder Holland emphatically replied in this address, "You never check your religion at the door. Not ever!" I loved it because many times we may be tempted to leave our standards out of certain activities, such as going to clubs, parties, or places that don't particularly expect them to uphold their standards. I admit, I am guilty of this online when in a heated, er, "discussion" with someone else (I'm repenting!) If we are truly striving to become the best we can be as disciples for Christ, it is who we are; as my bishop once shared, we never take vacations from our beliefs.

Secondly, and this is where I really immersed myself in, Elder Holland spoke of righteous judgment. This aspect was twofold: we should not adopt the erroneous ideology of "moral relativism", but we should love others as brothers and sisters, children of God.

I am politically ignorant, I am afraid to admit. But lately I am trying to do better, especially with the upcoming election (I need to know what I vote for). Recently, I have been trying to learn about world issues and so forth, and to be honest, it is somewhat disarming how much the world disagrees with me. The worst part is the plague that is moral relativism. With this line of thinking, people are beginning to adopt the idea that there is no real good or evil; it is however we feel. The immense danger here is that lifestyles or practices that are at complete odds with the welfare of humanity and the designs of God are accepted lest one be labeled as "judgmental," or "shoving his beliefs on everyone." So, this presents a problem: I disagree with most of the world's beliefs, but something I have been sincerely struggling with is, do I force my views on them for the sake of mankind, or do I allow them their freedom to do what they feel is right? While Elder Holand did not immediately solve my dilemma, he gave me quite a few things to think about. To sum it up, he said he believes it is right to stop at a stoplight, but is it fair for him to force his views on everyone? What if others feel that it doesn't matter if you stop? Of course Elder Holland is going to stop them! It doesn't matter what they "believe," what matters is that their views are dangerous to themselves and to those around them. While I respect the freedom of religion and of speech, we cannot afford to allow behavior that is destructive to the family and society because "it's their right," when it really isn't.

But, before we get too extreme and condemn everyone around us, Elder Holland pulls us back a step and reminds us our relationship with everyone. He illustrated another experience he had, where a rather inappropriately-dressed woman came to church. He said we were free to judge her as a sinner, but it would probably be much more beneficial to see her as someone that is struggling somewhat but still trying to hold fast. We should approach that when helping others in sinful behavior. We are not to condemn, but to help them overcome their problems. I definitely see this whenever I have a discussion with others about what's ok and what's not ok. Usually, if I am quick to condemn ("You're wrong!"), they usually get defensive and call me a judgmental, religious bigot. But, if done lovingly, they are much more likely to see that God's commandments are not to control him but to show a greater quality in life, which is the purpose of those commandments in the first place.

To sum up the last few paragraphs, Elder Holland said something to the effect of, "There is no greater integrity than to walk in God's path with firmness and compassion."

So, all-in-all, fantastic. I haven't had a real chance to enjoy such a spiritual discourse since I left Alabama 3 months ago from my proselytizing mission. I feel that I am much better equipped to defend my standards in a world where "evil [is called] good, and good evil" (Isa. 5:20). There is a lot to face in the world, but now I see more clearly how I am to challenge it.

I highly recommend anyone and everyone watch this.

Click here to watch the original broadcast

No comments:

Post a Comment